The Southern African Institute of Government Auditors (SAIGA) is operating on a non-profit basis to serve the public interest. Since its inception on 27 July 1988, the role and functions of SAIGA has been to serve the public sector and society by advancing public accountability and auditing in its widest sense.
As a professional body, SAIGA represents a unique brand of professionals, the Registered Government Auditor (RGA) in the public sector and in academia. The RGA is considered the highest professional designation within the public sector auditing (previously known as government auditing). We support the RGA professionals through Continuous Professional Development programmes, expert technical knowledge and advice, scientific research in accountability and accounting topics and other numerous programmes aimed at developing and advancing Competent public sector auditing and accounting professionals.
SAIGA operates within an approved Constitution that ensures the independence of the Institution from its main stakeholders and furthermore sets out the principles and processes of good governance. The institute is governed by a duly elected Council consisting of ten members. An Executive Committee (EXCO) is elected.
- Support our members through continuous professional development programmes in executing their functions.
- Certify professional accountants and auditors in the public sector.
- Build capacity within the public sector in connection with accountability.
- Expert knowledge repository of auditing and accounting in the public sector.
- Continuously promote and stimulate research in the field of auditing and accounting practices in the public sector.
- Work in partnerships with various stakeholders to promote the interests of our members.
To be recognised as a preferred professional body specialising in the development and advancement of auditing and accounting with multiple skills sets leading the Southern African public sector environment.