Continuous Professional Development
CPD HOUR’S SUBMISSION
Members of a profession must accept a moral duty towards the profession and must be committed to expand and update their knowledge on their particular area of expertise and other related areas. Continuing professional development (CPD) is defined as the processes by which professionals maintain, develop and expand their knowledge, skills and attitudes with specific reference to their fields of expertise. CPD are learning activities that maintain and develop capabilities to enable our members to perform competently within their professional environment and to contribute towards the development of the public sector auditing and accountancy profession and the service to the public interest.
The responsibility for ensuring the development of competence to function as a public sector auditing and accountancy professional lies primarily with each individual. Members must therefore take necessary steps to identify relevant and applicable CPD activities.
SAIGA’s CPD submission is not a voluntary activity, but it is compulsory, and it will be subject to formal monitoring, based on the CPD activities submitted by a member through the member portal.
The CPD requirements for members are:
- Fellow members. Over a consecutive four-year period accomplish 180 hours of CPD activities. At least 6 CPD hours must be in ethics, of which 2 hours must be the compulsory SAIGA ethics training for public sector auditing and accountancy professionals per calendar year. A minimum of 20 CPD hours are required in a calendar year
- Associate members. Min. of 15 CPD hours per annum every calendar year. At least 2 CPD hours must be in Ethics.
- Graduate members. Min. of 10 CPD hours per annum every calendar
year. At least 2 CPD hours must be in Ethics.
- Retired members. Min. of 20 CPD hours per annum every calendar year. At least 2 CPD hours must be in Ethics.
- Honorary members. Honorary RGA members are not required to submit annual CPD activities. It is advisable that honorary members who are still active in the profession are encouraged to upskill themselves with latest trends in the public sector auditing and accountancy profession.
- Affiliate members. Minimum of at least 2 CPD hours in Ethics every calendar year.